Mykolaiv Observatory is one of the oldest observatories in Eastern Europe. It was founded in 1821 as a Naval Observatory. In 1912, it became Nikolaev department of the Main (Pulkovo) Astronomical Observatory (MAO). In 1935, it was included in the network of scientific institutes of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR as Nikolaev department of MAO. In 1992, the observatory became an independent research institution in Ukraine, and it has become the Research Institute: Nikolaev Astronomical Observatory (RI NAO) since 2002. At present the RI NAO is subordinated to the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.