Nikolaev Observatory is one of the oldest observatories in Eastern Europe. It was founded in 1821 as a Naval Observatory. In 1912 it became Nikolaev department of the Main (Pulkovo) Astronomical Observatory (MAO). In 1935 it was included in the network of scientific institutes of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR as Nikolaev department of GAO. In 1992 it became an independent research institution in Ukraine, and from 2002 it became Research Institute Nikolaev Astronomical Observatory. At present the Observatory is subordinated to State Agency for Science, Innovation and Information.